Sunday, December 1, 2013

Counting the days.....

How many days 'til Christmas?

Isn't that what every kid wants to know right now?  Well, at our home, we have several advent calendars we use to keep track of that very important detail.....

I made my first advent tree with a college friend several years ago.  (K, maybe just a little bit more than several, but whatever!) We found these wood kits at a local craft store and had a great time painting them up. Funny how things become so sentimental, and even as styles and tastes change, you still love them for the memories they contain.  That's how I feel about this little tree.  My kiddos take turns filling it with ornaments and can hardly wait to reach the star on top.

Our quilted advent wallhanging is definitely a favorite.  I spent *forever* making this thing when my girls were tiny, remember my oldest playing in the piles of fabric scraps as I worked and look forward to getting it out every year.  An ornament goes on a button each day.  Love it!!!

Of course, we also enjoy eating our chocolate calendars as we bide the time.  Have a fun metal one sitting by our fireplace and this year my oldest even added an app to her ipod that lets us know the exact number of days, hours, minute and seconds until the most exciting day arrives.  But I gotta say.... knowing those details sorta stresses me out because I always want more time to prepare and enjoy this season......

Which leads me to our favorite countdown..... this bin filled with children's Christmas story books!!!  Pure magic.  Each year, I wrap them up and tie on a cute, little numbered tag.  (I found these at a craft store and used vinyl lettering for the numbers.)  We begin on December 1st and read one book each night, finishing with our special favorites on Christmas Eve.  The first book is always a new story, and after that it's just fun to see what comes next.  It's a great way to anticipate Christmas, but more than that, I love the way it makes us sit down together at the end of our often hectic days, snuggle up by the tree and read.....  Best part of the days leading up to Christmas!  And I think it makes the time for anxious children go by just a little bit faster.....

What are your family favorites?

No comments: