Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

Every year for the last thirteen years I have awakened at some ridiculously early hour to go shopping.  Until today.  Today I slept in...... and it was nice.  I'm not sure exactly what it was about this year that led to my decision.  Maybe it was the overkill of emails and ads I received promoting everything imaginable.  Kinda bugged me.  And when I sat down to read the Thanksgiving paper and browse the ads, something I always look forward to, I was surprised to see I would really have to go out Thursday night if I wanted to get the great deals.   Hmnpf!  And maybe it was also me being focused on other things and just wanting to be home with my babes.  I don't know.  Regardless, I went to bed and actually got some rest.

We did venture out a little bit later in the day.  Kids needed some clothes.  Had a blast trying stuff on and picking out some little gifts for each other that they may or may not be able to wait to give.  I even snagged myself some shoes and scored a fantastic deal on a new power drill!  Cuz mama in new heels with a new power tool is always a good thing! =)  We had a really great time together!  And I guess that's what this whole Christmas season is for me..... time together.

I love shopping for those perfect presents and spend a lot of time trying to make sure my gifts are thoughtful and wrapped up all pretty.  That part is sooooo much fun!!!  And Christmas morning with little kids is one of the greatest things ever.  But what I love even more are all of our traditions that lead up to it.  Decorating.  Elf night.  Driving around to see the lights everywhere singing at the top of our lungs.  Baking.  Delivering goodies to friends.  Advent calendars.  Snuggling by the fire.  Temple Square.  Our annual carriage ride.  Gingerbread houses.  Playing Santa's elves and leaving random, anonymous gifts.  Whobilations.  Christmas Eve candlelit dinners in matching homemade pajama pants.  Symbolic red, green and gold gifts.  Christmas bedtime stories by the tree...... I love and enjoy it all!!!

And while I will definitely be on the look out for good deals and will certainly do my share of shopping this season,  I don't feel I missed out by skipping the crowds and the craziness this year.

1 comment:

Amber M. said...

Glad to see you posting again! Loves